Life Jackets and Life Buoys
Turkey and the world, with many boats, started to return to the normalization process, and the corona commercial and special-purpose yacht began to organize tours. The importance of the characteristics and standards of life jackets and life buoys, which are on the sea and which are used to carry passengers for transportation, and which are of vital importance, came to the agenda again. As it is known, life jackets are the most important tools that allow the person to stay on the water in the seas. These vests may be needed for various reasons, and there is no possibility of life vests not being on board at such times.
Life jackets and glass buoys are products that must be in remarkable colors for easy identification by the sea. Life jackets should be in proportion to the number of people on board. If there is a child, a life jacket should be available for each child. In the case that the boat is more than 5 meters away, a glass wheel must be kept from the boat. Life buoys on the boat must also comply with SOLAS standards. Life jackets and buoys that are kept for swimming are not accepted among the necessary equipment.
A life jacket in SOLAS Standards has the following features.
- It can be worn comfortably in a minute without anyone's help.
- It keeps the mouth of a person who is unconscious 12 cm above the mouth. It also allows the person to correct his or her position in the water in as little as 5 seconds.
- The life jacket must be equipped with a 0.75 candle that can burn for up to 8 hours.
- One of the most important conditions is that it has a visible color. It is generally preferred to be orange.
- There should be reflective tapes on it.
- Even when jumping from a height of 4.5 meters, it should remain intact and not be over the person.
The life jacket should be suitable for the person's body and should be checked for any problems in the water beforehand. Besides, the leaflet should be read and learned carefully. Eren Budaklı, the blogger of the Nautica Goods, said that the theme of life buoys, as the name suggests, is one of the most important life-saving equipment used to save the lives of passengers in case of danger. These buoys should be easily accessible and seaworthy and should be kept on board under SOLAS standards.
These standards are;
- It must have a visible color.
- The outer diameter of the buoy should be at least 80 centimeters, and the inside diameter should be at most 40 centimeters.
- Its weight should be less than 2.5 kilograms, and it should be able to carry a 14.5-kilogram weight in the water comfortably for 24 hours.
- There must be four equal pieces of retention rope and reflective tapes outside the wheel. Stating that the Budaklı life vests continue to say that there are standards and the areas to be stored are in the process of determining rules in this regard, saying, 'Life vests should be kept in easy-to-reach places on the boats for emergencies.' Examples of this are easy-to-open cabinets. Life jackets should never be kept in locked places.
Apart from this, the rules to be considered of the storage of life vests are;
- No heavy material should be placed on them.
- After use, it should be washed with freshwater and should not be left in damp, wet places.
- It should be checked regularly for holes or tears.
- In the products used by inflating air, the tubes used for cooking must be checked continuously.
- It should be checked continuously that the buoys keep up their float properties.
These are important points to know about life jackets and life buoys. He ended his words.