Granma is the yacht used to transport 82 fighters of the Cuban Revolution from Mexico to Cuba in November 1956 to overthrow the Fulgencio Batista regime. The 18-meter diesel-powered cabin cruiser was built in 1943 by the Wheeler Shipbuilding of Brooklyn as a lightly armored target application boat, the US Navy C-1994.
Granma yacht has been changed to accommodate 12 people after the war. The meaning of the name of the yacht is a loving grandmother term in English and according to the rumor, the name of the famous ship was given by a grandmother who was the former owner.
Purchase of Granma Yacht
The historic yacht was purchased by a Mexican citizen from the manufacturer company on October 10, 1956. It is not known who removed the light armor to turn the navy training boat into a civilian yacht and by whom at the end of the war, the cabin was expanded.
Castro, who wanted to cross from the Gulf of Mexico to Cuba, attempted to purchase a rescue boat or seaplane with the 26th of July Operation. However, their efforts were hampered by insufficient funds.
The money was collected in Florida, the USA by former Cuban President Carlos Prío Socarrás and Teresa Casuso Morín to purchase Granma, one of the ships that changed world history.
Granma Yacht in the 26th of July Movement
On 25 November 1956, Granma was secretly embarked on the historic ship with 82 members, including key figures such as Camilo Cienfuegos, leaders of the 26 July movement, Fidel Castro, Che Guevara, and his brother Raúl Castro. Later, the group known collectively as Granma yacht explorers set out from Tuxpan.
The famous group landed at Playa Las Coloradas on December 2, following a series of misfortunes, including diminishing supplies, seasickness, and heavy-loaded ships. The story of reaching this land was considered a great success. Granma was armed by Norberto Collado Abreu, Castro's ally and a Cuban navy veteran during World War II.
The famous ship Granma yacht is now exhibited at the Gamma Monument next to the Revolution Museum in Havana. There has been a name change in a part of the former Province of Oriente. The region where the revolutionaries first set foot on land from the Granma Yacht was named Granma State. Also, the official newspaper of the Central Committee of the Communist Party of Cuba has been named Granma since its establishment.